Recipe: Coconut Ginger Rice Pudding
Rice pudding is one of our favorite things to make. Leftover rice, spices, and a few other ingredients are all that’s needed for a quick and delicious dessert. Here’s our recipe for coconut ginger rice pudding, which we served at our noodles and music event earlier in August.
Ingredients: cooked rice, ginger, cardamon, cinnamon, nutmeg, golden raisins, coconut milk, sugar
1. Cover cooked rice with water and bring to a boil.
2. While bringing the rice to a boil, mince copious amounts of ginger, and add to the pot with the other spices and golden raisins. Use a fair bit of cardamon — approximately a teaspoon or so for each cup of rice, and just a dash of the other spices.
3. Gently boil mixture for 15-20 minutes, or until the grains of rice have started break down and the contents of the pot have begun to thicken.
4. Add coconut milk to taste, and return to a slow boil. Cook for 5-10 minutes.
5. Mix in sugar to taste. We like to use a turbinado sugar to sweeten and thicken the pudding, but any kind of sugar will do. Of course, a darker sugar will change the color of the pudding, if that is a consideration.
6. Serve hot or cold.